John Kowitz -- underwater photography, world travel, ocean conservation
John Kowitz left the cold, fresh waters of Michigan to find his calling in warm, tropical waters around the world. As an underwater photographer John has captured stunning shots of people, animals, and scenes in places like Hawaii, Bahamas, Costa Rica, and more. While developing his strength as a free diver, John has developed a deep respect for ocean conservation and along with stories of swimming with hammerheads, mantas, and pilot whales, shares his perspective on protecting our oceans and the animals we all love. If you can, take a look at John’s photography on Instagram @j.kowitz while you listen to his stories — his work is epic.
If you hate using the plastic bags at grocery stores for your produce, hit Google for ‘washable produce bags’ and pick up a set of the reusables. It makes a ton of sense.
Thanks for sharing John’s ocean life with us. Be sure to check him out on Instagram and dive into his photography website.
Additional parts of our conversation:
- Splitting time between career as a travel nurse and photography
- Grew up in Michigan
- Evolution of photography and camera gear
- Guiding spearfishing trips on Maui with Maui Spearfishing Academy and Bobby Twitchell (past guest)
- Guiding whale and shark freediving tours on the Kona coast
- Animals — pilot whales, ocean white tips, hammerhead sharks, mantas
- intricacies of diving and photographing hammerhaed and pilot whales
- Cocos Island trip with SharkWatch
- Observing Hammerhead Shark cleaning station where small reef fish pick parasites off of the sharks
- Working and training with world-class athletes and special forces at XPT with Laird Hamilton