** Interview episode 108 **
Sailing Vessel Delos is a 53 foot boat that has journeyed over 70,000 nautical miles, visited 45 countries, and kept safe over 50 different visiting crew for the past ten years. Brady Trautman, and brother Bryan, started their epic adventure together in 2010 and have since added partners Karin and Alex to this core crew of four, sailing the world and documenting the people, places, and activities of life at sea. We hear from Brady and Alex today about the history of Delos, how a crew of four functions together, their recent adventures in 2019 including sharks, lightning, and 2 transatlantic crossings, and hear their perspective on a sustainable life at sea and passion for creating their awesome SV Delos Youtube series.
So definitely check them out online at SVDelos.com
and see their YouTube channel — it’s by far some of the best ocean-focused videos out there. I hope Alex and Brady help inspire you get out on the water and find something new — whether it’s an entire ocean away or just down the coast from you — there’s always something new out there for each of us. Enjoy.
Other parts of our conversation:
- Brian and Brady Trautman brothers started sailing together in 2010
- Initial 3-week trip from Mexico to Marquesas Islands turned into 10 years
- Alex, joined Delos 3 years ago, running her own business, doing dive training. Reached out to Delos to join a trip and never left
- Day to day life with 4 people aboard, from cooking to maintenance of the boat
- Year recap of 2019 for Delos and crew, including 2 trans-Atlantic crossings and a gnarly lightning storm in the Bermuda Triangle
- Working with the sextant to measure position on the ocean in absence of electronics
- Amazing experience diving with blue sharks in the Azores
- 200+ youtube videos and the love and effort the Delos crew puts in to produce amazing content