Greg Norman Jr -- kiting, surfing, spearfishing, world travel
** Interview Episode 113 **
With a family name synonymous with the sport of golf, Greg Norman Jr has carved out an incredibly deep and well—rounded life in the ocean. From growing up in the waters of Florida to years on Maui Greg has developed love and skill for riding all types of boards on the water — from surfing, kiting, foiling, to wake boarding. Adding on to this a strong passion for the hunt, Greg pushes himself underwater with spearfishing both reefs and blue water, enjoying getting lost in the flow that being in the ocean provides to us all. Throughout, Greg has placed high emphasis on close connection to family and providing greater access to board sports for all with his Shark Cable Park. We started our conversation around the role that the ocean played in his recent engagement to his wife-to-be (it’s a rad story).
Check out the Shark Cable Park at www.sharkwakepark.com
Other pieces to our conversation:
- Growing up with his father introducing Greg to the ocean — surfing, diving
- Living on Maui and pursuing love for kiting — competing professionally in the early 2000’s
- Story of his first date spearfishing with his wife to be
- Discuss the ins and outs of foiling and how it changes our perspective on waves
- Kiting and wake boarding trip in Prince William Sound Alaska with hair raising exit by boat
- Wearing dry suits to wakeboard and forgetting to zipper
- Spearfishing in the Bahamas and team sport of hunting and landing cobia
- Wonder and beauty of interacting with sharks underwater
- Sense of flow in golf and sports in the ocean and challenge of changing your mindset to slow down and focus on the present
Stoked Grom Stories: Cooper Sisters -- sailing South Pacific, surfing, diving, life afloat
** Stoked Grom Stories Episode 7 **
Growing up in my hometown of Santa Cruz, CA, The Cooper Sisters, 9 year old Isla and 12 year old Malia, left it all behind with their parents for life at sea. Since January 2019, the entire family has been living in the South Pacific aboard sailing vessel Renegade where the girls have transformed personally, spiritually, and athletically.
With daily life of surfing, diving, fishing, and sailing both Malia and Isla have chosen unique paths in the ocean, developing strength and confidence extremely unique for their age — from surfing hollow waves to diving with sharks. With frequent visits to the outer Fijian Islands, the girls have developed strong understanding and respect for the customs of tribal culture and have made friends with villagers, attended local school, and developed their own strong sense of self-confidence.
To see more about the Cooper Family, visit their website at http://www.sailingwithrenegade.com/. You can also find fun stuff on the ThisOceanLife.TV website, Instagram, and Facebook, and Twitter. Host: Josh Pederson, @surfpaddletailgate
K.C. Scott -- fishing, diving, spearfishing, art
** Interview episode 110 **
K.C. Scott has based his life off of two core natural abilities revolving around the ocean. The first, his ability to interact first-hand with fish through angling, freediving, photography, and spearfishing, to return with vivid imagery of their natural beauty and power. The second, K.C.’s ability to transfer those real-life moments into creative pieces of art that, whether on a canvas or a t-shirt, continually keep us connected back to the ocean. With a lifestyle of creating amazing art and pursuing fish in his local Florida waters and more remote locations like Costa Rica, K.C. stays humble and appreciative of his talents, nature, and those around him. To round it all out, K.C. keeps focus on surfing and enjoying life with family and guiding his young daughter toward her own ocean life. Great stories, energy, and inspiration from K.C. Scott. Enjoy.
I love art of the ocean and seeing highly descriptive paintings on canvas and images on clothing of the magnificent fish are key ways that keep me amped for my next adventure in, on, or under the water. If ocean art also resonates with you, check out K.C. Scott’s art at kcscottartist.com where you can find art and apparell that will look good on your wall or the back of your shirt. If you find something you like, use coupon code OCEAN20 at checkout and you’ll get 20% off your order. When you do you’ll be supporting a family owned and operated business that’s dedicated to helping us all grow our connection to the ocean.
Guy Harvey -- blending art and science of the ocean, spokesman of marine life
** Interview episode 109 **
Raised in the waters of Jamaica, educated in England, from his earliest days Guy Harvey has had a strong connection to the ocean that has manifested into a lifelong career of art, science, and business. With a doctorate in marine biology and incredible natural gift for drawing and painting, Guy has pursued his passion for the ocean and the pelagic fish and sharks that make it home to build one of the first apparel brands focused on the ocean. Decades later, Guy has grown his brand into a thriving, sustainable company that funds ocean research projects that deliver new insights into highly migratory animals and raises awareness of their strong value to ecotourism. Stories, perspectives, inspiration — we hear it all today with Guy Harvey. Enjoy.
Scott Kennedy -- jack of many trades in the ocean
- Fishing for yellowfiin tuna on the Pacific Dawn charter boar
- Scott’s 16ft Radoncraft skiff (boat) he spent over 600 hours on — adventure, fishing, more
- Learning his way in the ocean around La Jolla, CA — trial by fire
- Hand-shaping over 60 surfboards to continually experiment with different styles of craft to ride waves on
- Anticipation and excitement for his growing family and what it means to get his kids in the water
- Recent surf trip to the Maldives
Greg Lewandowski -- boat captain, scuba instructor, freediver, fisherman, photographer
Born in Poland and raised in the cold ocean waters of Maine, Greg Lewandowski began scuba diving at age 9, running boats, and developing a strong love for being in the ocean at a young age. Today he takes us through his stories of living and working across the Caribbean, running scuba diving charters, fishing, and freediving on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai, his artistic approach to photography, and memorable moments with whales, sharks, manta rays, monk seals, and much more. You can find Greg on Instagram by his handle @seafeverh2o. And we can all cut way down on our plastic usage to help protect the environment and some of our favorite ocean animals we hear about today.
More highlights of our conversation:
- First experienced tropical water at age 15 in Honduras setting him on a path of travel throughout the Caribbean serving as scuba divemaster and instructor before landing on the south shore of Kauai where Greg lives today.
- Shares perspective on the spirit of Kauai and the ability for the island to either accept or reject people who move there.
- Greg talks about running scuba tours for Fathom Five Divers, the amazing diving in the water around Niihau and the animals found there.
- Most memorable experience underwater floating eye-to-eye with a juvenile hump back whale in the Turks and Caicos Islands
- Spending time in the water with Hawaiian Monk Seal, local sharks, mantas, spinner dolphins
- Operating tour boats in the unpredictable waters of Kauai
- Fishing for the pelagic game fish in the Hawaiian waters — tunas, ono
- Artistry that goes into making lures from scratch
- Photography, favorite photo of a model on the beach just before a wave breaks around her
- Evolution of freediving as another way to interact in the ocean
- The abstract nature of bodybuilding relative to diving and being in the ocean (hint, wetsuits don’t fit so well but you need less weight to dive 🙂
Thanks for sharing Greg’s ocean life with us. Be sure to check him out on Instagram .
Cooper Family -- Sailing the South Pacific (Pt 2)
In episode 93 we check in with Brian and Robyn Cooper, a family from Santa Cruz, CA who, with their 2 daughters, left it all behind 9 months prior to live a dream of sailing in the South Pacific. Brian and Robyn describe their first few months of learning their sailboat Renegade, the ins and outs of sailing among the islands and reefs of Fiji, and developing confidence in their sailing capabilities. The Coopers share perspective on traveling in the outer Fijian Islands, surfing incredible waves, diving, fishing, boat-schooling the kids, and spending time in many local villages where they’ve learned and embraced the Fijian culture. We hear of how the family is adapting to life afloat and how their daughters, ages 9 and 12, are growing and changing as result of spending tons of time in the ocean and interacting with the Fijian culture. Brian and Robyn talk about the next major part of their trip which takes them over a 10-day passage to New Zealand then over to Indonesia and other epic parts of the South Pacific.
Stoked Grom Stories: Perlyn Brothers - surfing, fishing, diving, running a company
In this episode of Stoked Grom Stories we talk with Ethan and Merritt Perlyn, two brothers enjoying their ocean lives in the waters around Miami, Florida. The boys take us through their recent adventures of surfing in Costa Rica, diving with sharks in the Bahamas, experiencing the icy waters of Northern California for the first time, and developing a deep connection with the ocean. We hear how Ethan and Merritt started their clothing and lifestyle company, CREPIC, after a great surf session that was both ‘crazy’ and ‘epic’ at the same time. They boys take us through the day to day of CREPIC and how they place strong focus on sustainability (no plastic packaging) and giving back to local non-profits (anti-bullying and Surfers for Autism). We also hear about prone paddling, shark tagging, and many more activities the boys enjoy in the water. Ethan and Merritt skillfully handle the highly anticipated grom lightening round of questions and leave us all with inspiration to do something good for the ocean.
Riley Auble - surfing, fishing, travel, board paddling
In this episode of Stoked Grom Stories we speak with Riley Auble, a young man enjoying a life growing up in Santa Cruz, California. We hear of Riley’s adventures traveling to Vietnam and his favorite surf spots on Maui. Riley talks about his love for fishing, helping disabled children enjoy the waves with Ride-A-Wave, and the epic finish of his Junior Lifeguard paddle team at the 2018 California Regional competition. Riley takes us through some of his strategy for competitive surfing and his stoke for paddling prone boards.
Thanks for sharing Riley’s ocean life with us. You can find pictures of him ripping on Instagram.